Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NZ North Island Holiday Hot Spots ??

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

Bingham

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:10 pm

NZ North Island Holiday Hot Spots ??

Am taking a 9 day holiday to the land of sheep shaggers...

Chasing same as i did for gulf and cape a list of the tope few things to do and see. I will be in a hire suv so major offroading please :D am sick of pushing bogged hire cars :finger:

Any help appreciated. I will flying in and out of Aukland. If down wello way may get on fery and do a night or so on the northern tip of the south island.
2015 200 Series Gx TTD - ................ Fark 3L's -
<<

RO8M

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: NZ North Island Holiday Hot Spots ??

K then... Get out of Auckland quick.

The countryside is green, all of it. The fenceposts are not vertical, they are perpendicular to the ground.

In no particular order:

If you're into wineries, Hawkes Bay region is nice. If you're into mary jane, mongrel mob and dodgy characters, east cape is the place. An hour or so North of AKL you'll be able to find Woodhill state forest, with some adventure-type activities. High-ropes through trees, quad biking, self-drive 4x4 ( i think), mountain biking is huge in that area.

The skiing mountains are nice, I've heard, and Rotorua is a decent town. It also has some adventure type activities: Zorbing (get inside a large double-skinned ball and roll down a hill. Add a bucket of water for washing machine-like experience. good fun.), uh, and other stuff. Further west, Waitomo cavesare worth a look. I did a waterfall cave tour (as in, rappelling etc down underground waterfalls), and there are more and less active tours. pretty well organised.

Heading south from Waitomo, you'll go through Taumaranui, and somewhere around there is a town called "National Park". Keep going south to Taihape, then east here and you'll go over "Gentle Annie", or the Napier-Taihape road. Really nice, see some high country (that an uncle of mine helped to open up), some good twisties, and 30-40km of gravel (last time i took this road was on a GSXR1000...) This will take you to Hawkes Bay. Napier is one of the twin cities there, and is famous for its Art deco achitecture. The place was levelled by an earthquake early last century, and fully rebuilt in all the same style. pretty cool. Have some fish and chips on the foreshore. Spend a couple of days. Go out to Cape Kidnappers (on a trailer towed behind a tractor along the beach for an hour or so) to see theGannet colony. Huge number of these birds, really amazing looking too. Looks like someone applied heaps of make-up to them.

Go up Te Mata peak, for a good view of the area. DRIVE VERY CAREFULLY up and down here. Single lane, 2 direction, steep high cliff, no guard rail.

Maybe go out to Waimarama, if you can get a holiday housefor a couple of days. A very small quiet beach village, with private fishing boats launching from the exposed beach, from tractor-towed trailers. Can be entertaining...

South of there is central Hawkes bay, CHB, big stone-fruit producing region. (I grew up here)

I guess you could go south (if you go through Waipukurau, that's about half hour from where i grew up) to Dannevirke (large scandinavian population, lots of viking-related crap) and through the Manuwatu gorge to Palmerston Nth. If the Gorge is closed, just go over the top of the range. In fact, that might be better anyway, more mountain biking, check out the big ass-windmills, etc.

From Palmy, if you're on the home stretch, head north West up through Bulls. There's a bunch of stuff there making fun of their town's name.

Then I'd recommend Taranaki region. (all around that mountain). I have only been through here once, but the Forgotten Highway is really nice. It goes north-east from Stratford, through Whangamomona, towards Taumaranui again. But you'd miss out on New Plymouth if you went straight up there. As i said, i don't know that region, so i don't know what there'd be to do there.

So that'd be a good start for you, i guess.

Edit: Yes, I'm bored at work, waiting for a derivation to compute...
Last edited by RO8M on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Rob.

His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.

This is legal advice.
<<

RO8M

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Oh, and the Interislander ferry is expensive, especially with a vehicle.

I'll add more bits and pieces as i think of them...
My name is Rob.

His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.

This is legal advice.
<<

Frankeh

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:59 pm

you need to go here http://www.adventurepark.co.nz/ and drive a monster truck
┌П┐(o_o)┌П┐
<<

RO8M

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:32 pm

Frankeh wrote:you need to go here http://www.adventurepark.co.nz/ and drive a monster truck

Wrong end of the country.
My name is Rob.

This is legal advice.
<<

MrsForby

Goddess of Self Esteem Issues!

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Is Rainbow's End still open?
WICKED wrote:I flogged mine for a good hour this arvo!

3 Kittens need a home in Sydney - PM for more details!
<<

RO8M

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:27 pm

MrsForby wrote:Is Rainbow's End still open?

Wife says yes. But she also answered the "Is it good?" question with "Relative to movie/dream/sea world? no." and a sneer.

Wife also recommends Taupo, Rotorua, and if you're into hiking, the Tonagriro Crossing. Thinks it's a 1-3 day hike.

Parliament house in Wellywood. If that's your thing.

Check your hire car fine print. There most likely will be some roads that you aren't allowed to drive on, due to danger, etc.
My name is Rob.

This is legal advice.
<<

grimbo

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:41 pm

Bay of Islands is definetly worth a look, can do the jet boat thing or hire a yacht and cruise around.

The Coromandel is a great area with fantastic beaches, hot sand beach is great if you are thete at the right tide.

Rotorua is another area worth checking out as is Wellington. Also the far north cape in a 4 wd is a bit of fun

As with anything in NZthe scenery is amazing, food is good, people friendly and everything is close.
Ransom note = demand + collage
<<

MrsForby

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Lol, Rainbows End wasn't too bad when I visited in 1994, however anything is good to an almost eight year old!

We also saw the buried village and some sort of Taboggan Park as well, which seemed fun. Saw a lot of old houses which were good but I'd have to go digging for the names.

<<

Bingham

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:39 am

Some good suggestions, am cutting and pasting! Thanks keep them coming
<<

zukmeista

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:22 am

I live in Northland, happy to show you some local 4wding if you like ;) Agree with the comments on Auckland, horrible place! :lol:
Grow some balls.

That is all.
<<

date

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:48 am

You after hot spots? Isn't Mt Ruapaho erupting at present?
<<

RO8M

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:28 pm

When are you going?
My name is Rob.

This is legal advice.
<<

Bingham

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:29 pm

Head off in bout 2 weeks i just relised and haven't finalised my plans so best get onto it so keep any suggestions coming and ill cut and paste.
<<

RED60

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Hot spots....... apparently they've got boiling mud......
Show me the money..SHOW ME THE MONEY
<<

Bingham

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Ok working on my plan but not having my bearings it makes it slightly harder but ...

Q1 !st night in Auckland then should i be heading NNW up the pointy bit :?: is that where any of these hot spots are or better to just head east and do the clockwise thing. Basically is there any of the cool shite up the point bit (Wangeri) or whatever it is etc.

Q2 Is my assumption correct that its to expensive and nothing massively exciting to see if we did a night over on the ferry to south island picton way?

Q3 Normally i have every nigth/,minute planned with accom but thinking of more free lancing this trip. End of this month busy over there tourist wise or school holidays or i dont know? eg will i be fighting to find a bed every night? and should book.

Q4 if you were at rotorura would you go to gisbourne? or just head south when heading to wello?

Any help appreciated
<<

zukmeista

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Up north there is Cape Reinga, worth a look apparently, on the west coast there is Pouto point, AWESOME place, sand dunes as far as the eye can see. The South Island has some of the best scenery in the world, it would take over a month to look at all the cool stuff down there. In Wellington there is the Te Papa mueseum, this would take two days to look at properly on it's own.
Grow some balls.

That is all.
<<

Bingham

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:09 pm

So,,,,,, Rotorua Smells like shite..... :D Dam sulphur

Quick rundown.

Aukland pub crawl then upto bay of islands for chopper flight over hole in rock. Then over to west side of the peninsula then back down to whahi beach then round the east cape(pretty scenic but slow driving. Then napier night and feed and beers at mission winery and look about. Then down to wellington cables cars and walks and then up to lake taupo for beers and look about and water golf driving range. then via moon fields and thermal pools we ended up in this stinky place for gondola and luge was pretty cool... Curreently in this stinky rotorua and getting thirsty :drinking: North island nice an scenic overall and been good trip. Just slow going on roads so done more driving in the kluga/highlander than i expected but is all good.. Aukland then home sunday. :finger: Better than working
<<

RO8M

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Yeah, sorry, i should have mentioned: average speed between any two given places will be a lot slower than here... Much more tiring driving for longer distances as well, due to increased concentration needed on narrower curvier roads.
My name is Rob.

This is legal advice.
<<

MrsForby

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:55 pm

Try the hot spas, they were awesome! (again, I was 8!)

Return to General Chit-Chat