Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Boosting Mobile phone signal inside

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

Jimbo

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Boosting Mobile phone signal inside

My g/f and I have moved into a new house in the country that is in a little bit of a black spot for mobile reception (There is 4G reception 10 mins away). Even though we get 1 or 2 bars the quality is bad and get a few drop outs. She uses a blue tick telstra phone and I have an I phone 3gs. Both get the same reception. It doesn't help that the roof and walls are colorbond.

Anyone here set up an external antenna that can then be routed to another antenna inside and boosted?
GQII Patrol YAY!!
<<

alien

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Boosting Mobile phone signal inside

have you asked telstra about it? they may have plans of extending the coverage soon (doubt it, but its possible). At the very least you could use it as leverage to try get a little better deal on your plans anyway.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████.
<<

Jimbo

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:32 pm

There is coverage all around but there is a few hills and a valley that must play funny buggers on the signal for a 400m radius
GQII Patrol YAY!!
<<

Toli

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:28 pm

http://mobilerepeateraustralia.com/shop ... p?cPath=17

From a quick google but no experience with them.

Some ideas

http://www.ehow.com/list_5814842_five-c ... ength.html

Our work are involved with repeating signals within warehouses, I will ask tomorrow what they use.
Dave, Nat, Braiden, Ethan and now Elizabeth

Bye Bye 80 Series............Hello XR6T
<<

Jimbo

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks!!
GQII Patrol YAY!!
<<

CRUZAAMAD

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 pm

i was living on a 5acre block in a high end area, bush around me in town, and my internet was CRAP with optus.
they wanted me to buy an antenna to put into the stick, more stuff to break on me, i said no.
AUSTRALIA
WORTH LOOKING AT WORTH LOOKING AFTER
<<

Jimbo

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:30 pm

I have been emailing these guys http://www.rfconnect.com.au/ and they have all the gear but only sell to overseas customers as it is illegal in australia to amplify mobile signals (apparently)
GQII Patrol YAY!!
<<

chris_stoffa

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Jimbo

Maybe just try an external aerial and try to get it as high as possible - have you tried standing on the roof
The one that I have was previously used on a remote site for a previous company I worked for to increase the Rx/Tx for the Mobile network based Wireless Internet.
As an example recently I was on the SA/Vic Border track where there is "marginal to no coverage" - three different phones indicated no coverage - so I connected to my phone and started making calls home. Worked brilliantly.

Get a patch cable for your phone from ebay or below.
Extra connectors came from Jay-Car

Not cheap but they are exactly what I have used to get increased coverage / sensitivity for my mobile when I am out and about.
http://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/catalog/vehicle-products.

Might be a whole lot cheaper and easier than trying to boost a signal

Cheers
Cancel my subscription - I don't want any of your issues
<<

Frankeh

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:47 pm

┌П┐(o_o)┌П┐
<<

Tiny

Road Ranger

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:07 pm

I recently moved to an area with patchy service at best, I did sone research and found a basic cradle with an external Ariel for the iPhone. I went with carcom off eBay but there is a brand called fury that a bunch of companies sell, barious phine cradle options. They are for a car kit but despite it being fitted to my bus it's I wanted it for use when I'm stationary so the basic cradle was all I wanted and I have a Bluetooth handset on the way. With a 7db Ariel conected I consitently get a full bar on Telstra 3G and enough to make and receive phone calls. In the 3 weeks prior I mistly had no service and only twice managed a call.

Total cost was $280 delivered for the cradle, Ariel and handset thingy.

Can't really access Internet with current location/service strength but get emails etc, given you have a fixed location you could potentially get significantly better with the right Ariel especially on a decent pole for height
If the above post did not offend you in any way please PM me so I can try harder!!
<<

Guy

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:10 pm

http://nextivityinc.com/products

Done in partnership with telstra.

from a news article I bogged some time back and emailed to a former college .. sorry dont recall the URL I got it from

Legal device
Telstra has recently endorsed and started selling the first legal repeater device for its network.
The Telstra Mobile Smart Antenna is a second-generation Nextivity Cel-Fi device that is now being sold by Telstra after completing a series of trials.
According to Howell, Telstra had been looking for appropriate repeater technology "since the CDMA days", when illegal booster devices caused interference problems for the carrier.
"We'd been searching for a long time for a repeater that doesn't cause an issue in our network," he said.
"Finally, a year or so ago, we found one. The initial device we were given from [Nextivity] didn't quite meet what we needed in the network, [but] this second variant does".
The Telstra version of the Nextivity device contains features developed exclusively for the telco that prevent it being used to "illegally repeat a signal which Telstra doesn't own".
Unlike some of the illegal repeaters, the Nextivity device also has the 'smarts' to ensure it doesn't swamp the base station it is repeating signal from.
"Instead of just being a simple RF amplifier, which is what 'dumb' repeaters are, this one will do things like read the control messages coming off the base station, and then it can determine things like how much power to transmit back on," Howell said.
"It doesn't just amplify the signal by a set amount, which is what these dumb repeaters do.
"This one will actually physically know how far away it is from the base station and be able to modify its power in the uplink so it doesn't swamp the base station."
Currently, the device is available from Telstra directly, partially so that the carrier can ensure it will work for the customer requesting it.
"The device is designed to be a coverage enhancement solution where the coverage is limited by low signal strength," he said.
"We would like to make sure that the person's not requesting a device because of an interference issue problem which this won't fix.
"So we don't want to sell these to anyone who asks because we may be selling them something which just won't work for them."
" If governments are involved in the covering up the knowledge of aliens, Then they are doing a much better job of it than they do of everything else "
<<

Jimbo

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:20 pm

They are just under $800 which is a bit rich. Will weigh up my options when I get back from work in a week or so
GQII Patrol YAY!!
<<

paulv1818

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:31 pm

I've got a yagi antenna at home for the 4g wireless internet. Works great. I was under the impression you could set it up with a wireless transmitter for phones inside the home as well - but I really have NFI how to do this sorry.
<<

Toli

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Our work uses Yagi 11db Gain Directional Antenna out side and a Magnetic Base 5db Antenna Inside.

This is setup for data, not sure if it will help voice or not as I am not an expert in that field. I think the Telstra option looks the best while it may not be cheapest.

PM me if you want more information.
Dave, Nat, Braiden, Ethan and now Elizabeth

Bye Bye 80 Series............Hello XR6T
<<

guchev

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Quick and easy. Buy a car mobile antenna. Mount it on roof outside and plug into mobile. $120 plus extension lead from Telstra shop. Went from 2 bars to full reception. You do need to make sure that your phone can plug into an external antenna though.
[color=#BF0000]Gu 6.5 V8 Locked & Loaded
GQ 35's ongoing project![/color]
<<

PRZOOK

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Optus have a product called Optus 3G Home Zone. It basically feeds your 3G signal down via the internet.

http://www.optus.com.au/home/home-zone/

There is an article on it and how Telstra are reluctant to come on board that was written last year. Haven't heard much more about it.

http://www.zdnet.com/femtocells-cause-c ... 339319000/
Yea...That's drivable.....You go first
<<

Jimbo

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:03 pm

We Want to be able to answer calls anywhere in the house or garage so don't want any car antenna cables.

I think we already have an Optus 3G antenna on the roof but we require something that will work with Telstra phones as that is what we both have and need for remote work.

I will keep looking!!!
GQII Patrol YAY!!
<<

chimpboy

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:36 pm

I think you are going to have to shell out for the telstra device.

On the upside if you'd asked a few months ago you wouldn't have had that option.

A fiddly but possible approach (I suspect not worth the farting around, but anyway...) if you have internet access would be to set up your phones to act as VOIP handsets when they are connected to your local wireless LAN. Then you would be making VOIP calls from them, and you can do all the usual things to get a good wireless LAN signal around the place. Of course you would not then be making/receiving calls with your usual mobile numbers.

Your problem is not unusual; there are a lot of threads on whirlpool about it. Optus and Vodafone both have "booster" options as well. But even if they were suitable for you (I think the optus one is something like a 30m range total), they still set you back a few hundred. So then you are only talking a few hundred more for the Telstra solution which is more like a perfect fix.
This is not legal advice.
<<

Jimbo

Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:25 pm

We are getting stuffed around with our internet too. On the Map our house location is in the fixed wireless area of the NBN but our street isn't. After signing up last week they have now rang and said it's not possible. I asked if they had actually been up the drive to test as the house is at the back of the block. They said they had. I also asked if they went up on my roof to test for signal but then got shuffled to someone else.

The previous owners just used optus wireless with an antenna on the roof which is still there but prices are a lot higher than the NBN plans.
GQII Patrol YAY!!

Return to General Chit-Chat