Contact Email List
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Holden GTR-X

Moderators: Tiny, longlux, V8Patrol, Moderators

<<

RN

A speed camera would have prevented that!

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Holden GTR-X

http://www.canberratoranaclub.com/history/gtrx.htm

Started out a lack lustre day with 3 horses running amuck in suburbia. Had a few ideas where they may have come from so once they had been coralled in a back yard I went hunting down the owners.

Ended up in rambling property that had numerous cars in states of repair, Jags, a Maserati, old Fiats etc....The owner came home and we started to chat. He was a retired Holden engineer and his mate there was a retired Ford engineer. I told the Holden guy that I have a brochure on the Holden GTR-X and he offered to buy it from me. No deal.

He lamented but stated "Oh well, look over your shoulder then" and I did and there in the shed amongst the other unfinished projects was a GTR-X, build number 1 . Just a rolling shell. Fibre glass with a factory roll cage built in. No instruments, seats glass etc, but the real deal. He purchased it after it had sat forlorn outside the back of the GMH plant at Fisherman's Bend and a new manager wanted to get rid of it so he purchased it for an unknown price but it was a steal.

He is going to complete it , but all the parts will have to be fabricated. A big job indeed.

I couldn't believe it. What a car it could of been only for the bean counters.
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

antt

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Pics?
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Looks like the illegitimate love child of a Lagonda and an old RX-7 :D

Sadly, most Holden fans would've turned up their noses at it. :cry:
bru21 wrote:What happens in goat, stays in goat!
<<

Goatse.AJ

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 am

antt wrote:Pics?

bru21 wrote:What happens in goat, stays in goat!
<<

antt

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:06 am

of the one in the shed captain obvious :finger:
<<

RN

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:11 am

AJFeroza wrote:Looks like the illegitimate love child of a Lagonda and an old RX-7 :D

Sadly, most Holden fans would've turned up their noses at it. :cry:

It is history in my lifetime. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. :bad-words:

What is sadder they informed me is that amongst the Holden and Ford engineers and their tight fraternity Ford has only 7 years left at building the local Falcon then it is IMPORTS. Holden too may be planning to go down this path also with Holden also rumoured to be selling off Lang Lang proving grounds. Why would they have to test cars here when overseas vehicles could be tested O/S by local Holden engineers to see if they suit our conditions..

Bloody sad.
I am the Nightrider! I am the chosen one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unroadworthy!
<<

Skegbudley

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:13 am

Lucky, Lucky, Lucky Lucky bastard.
I would give my left one for one of them.
My missus made me sell my LX Torana after owning it for 17 years. :cry:
I still haven't forgiven her for that. :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:

One of those were a pipe dream from when I was a kid.
GU Patrol with go better bits added
<<

antt

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:18 am

RN wrote:What is sadder they informed me is that amongst the Holden and Ford engineers and their tight fraternity Ford has only 7 years left at building the local Falcon then it is IMPORTS. Holden too may be planning to go down this path also with Holden also rumoured to be selling off Lang Lang proving grounds. Why would they have to test cars here when overseas vehicles could be tested O/S by local Holden engineers to see if they suit our conditions..

Bloody sad.

it'll be a sad day when the last aussie made car rolls off the line, what real volume manufacturing will be left then? not much....
<<

bj42turbo

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:18 am

please please tell us RN that you took pics of the very very interesting shell

Dazz
<<

bj42turbo

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:20 am

Skegbudley wrote:I still haven't forgiven her for that. :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:

And neither should you, ever! :D ;)

Dazz
<<

RN

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:29 am

bj42turbo wrote:please please tell us RN that you took pics of the very very interesting shell

Dazz

Nah, I didn't have a camera and the guy was a tad nervous about keeping his location secret. I will visit him as I have an old Fiat wheel cap that I have had since a kid. He collects Fiats so I will offer it to him and perhaps he will let me take a picture..or two.

It's funny, these engineers are a select group but: Through a friend I met a retired Holden engineer in Phillip Island.

Months later at Bunnings a gent approached me in the carpark and saw that I had a Mav. He asked me where he could get some replacement tyres for his Mav ( skinny wheels version) Really strange tyre size. He was a retired Holden engineer, who knew my friend on the Island.

And today, I mentioned my friend's first name and this guy also knew him.

Small world. 6 degrees of seperation working again.
<<

Chucky

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 am

AJFeroza wrote:

Wasn't Todd Wilkes (SP) driving one of these with a turbo'd V8 in it when he killed himself up Shitney's dragway??
<<

RN

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:46 am

Chucky wrote:
AJFeroza wrote:

Wasn't Todd Wilkes (SP) driving one of these with a turbo'd V8 in it when he killed himself up Shitney's dragway??

Nah, it was an italian car, Alfa??fitted with a V8 Holden/Chev.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it98E2Fez0o
<<

sudso

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:21 am

It would have been Holdens first full chassis car.
There's was a road going GTRX at Birdwood Motor Musuem, used to get driven around occaisionally, maybe still does. From the footage I saw it was blowing a bit of blue smoke.
Bordertrek 4X4 & Fabrication
0400 250 734 Bordertown SA
I love terra firma-the less firma the more terra
<<

RN

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:57 am

Birdwood http://www.flickr.com/photos/carsaround ... 482453529/

Anyone remember the Holden Hurricane? It even had a rear view camera ( you couldn't see out the back window, because there wasn't one)..and that was 1969

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2969.html
<<

St Jimmy

Van-tastic!

Location: .."I MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT ILL DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT".

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:01 am

If my memory serves me correctly, they built that when the super car scare was on. After the scare they brought out the Slr5000 and A9x and the rest is history.Shame as that would have been a foot in to the european,sc market.Nice bit of kit,Thanks R/N ;)
slugs are just snails that sold their belongings for drug money

Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.